Monday, September 17, 2007

Taegen's Law Rally



Saturday, September 15th was a hot day in Sahuarita, Arizona with the temperatures soaring to the 100 degree mark before noon. But the heat was overshadowed by the mission at hand--getting signatures for Taegen's Law.

I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in the rally, and it is truly an experience I will never forget. The people I met there, my new friends, were just all incredible people.

I arrived shortly after 9:00 A.M. to help my friend, Chrissi, and her husband, P.J. set up for the rally, which was held at the Walmart in Sahuarita. The staff at Walmart were very supportive, helping to set up tables and umbrellas, to help shade at least some of the sun's searing rays. We were soon met by Jamie Hallam, mother of Ariana and Tyler Payne, and her best friend, Tara, as well as her father, Richard. I had previously only met Jamie briefly, at the memorial service for Ariana and Tyler, so it was nice to be able to speak with her and meet Tara and Richard.

Everyone who participated, some of them whose names I can't recall, were really working hard. It really was a team effort. Considering the size of Sahuarita, a town about 20 miles south of the southside of Tucson, the results were incredible. We were able to get over 500 signatures in just a couple hours.

The efforts obviously would not have paid off if it wasn't for the people that signed the petition. Their support and willingness to listen and sign was exhilarating. They came that day to shop for what ever needs they had, and left hopefully making a difference in a child's life. The majority of people we were able to come in contact with were more than happy to sign. It's a great mark for humanity.

I posted a few pictures from the rally on my Myspace, if anyone is interested in seeing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment